Wednesday, November 26, 2014

World Beauty Wednesday: Kajal Eyeliner


Who else remembers the scene in Sex in the City 2 when Carrie is visiting a market place in Abu Dhabi?  Not only does she find an awesome pair of shoes and an ex-boyfriend(OMG Aiden, the one who got away), she also grabs an eyeliner.  Later that evening she grabs this eyeliner and applies a thick layer to her inner water line.  She looks in the mirror, transformed....
You know that feeling.  The feeling of the first time you find "your color" of lipstick, or the first time you mastered a sick smokey eye, or gave yourself a salon quality blowout(ok, I've never been able to do that).  One little beauty item done right can give you that brand-new courageous and sexy outlook to conquer unknown territories.  Or just help you through a long day of stepping on cheerios and whipping butts.  But lets talk about that eyeliner she used.  It's called Kajal.

Specifically the one she used is Blue Heaven Kohl Kajal Eyeliner.  It's from India.  When I first started seeing these cone shaped beauties from other brands pop up everywhere from drugstores to Sephora, I knew I needed to give it a try.  When I asked my eyebrow guru, who's from India, about Kajal, she had a lot to say.  She told me of her grandmother making Kajal eyeliner from the ashes of candles.  She told me all about how she had worn it since she was just a baby.  Her kids wore it as well as babies to protect their eyes from the harsh sun or cool and strengthen their eyes.  Some people even believe Kajal protects from the evil eye.  Then she pulled her own Kajal out of her purse and raved about how it's one of the only cosmetics that she won't do without.  I have tried a few brands and I'm happy to tell you what I think of them.  Also, I love a dark waterline, so exotic.

Blue Heaven Classic Kajal

First, let's check out Blue Heaven Classic Kajal made in India.  I have to note here that the cone shape has come to be what I expect and love about Kajal liners.   It helps the liner sort of sharpen itself as you apply it.  Also, you'll notice on the container it says "Lead Free."  Some Kajal liners do contain lead, but so does many of the makeup we use everyday unfortunately.  As far as the application, this is one of the darkest I've tried.  Not to mention it's staying power is fantastic.  I love the small size that's perfect for putting in a small bag for a night out.  You can grab this on Ebay for $5 for 2(great deal).

Shahnaz Husain Shaeyes Herbal Kajal

Next I have for you Shahnaz Husain Shaeyes Herbal Kajal made in India.  This Kajal eyeliner boasts a mixture of herbs and almond oil.  It goes on buttery smooth and dark. It's got a great smudge to it that makes it perfect for a smokey eye! You can get this on Amazon for $3 or $4.

Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Kohl Kajal Eyeliner

Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips first caught my eye because of the classic Kajal cone shape.  They come in sets of three and I grabbed the Natural Nude Eyes and the Smokey Eyes sets.  Shimmer is what these liners are all about.  All the swatches I'm showing you here are from just one swipe. Really lovely application and amazing color payoff.  I enjoy all of these, but the one I actually use the most is the nude/gold color.  I use it to line my tear ducts and give my eyes an extra bright look.  These are available at Ulta for $11.99 for each trio.  Check out all the different color combos they have, very fun.

Lord & Berry Black Silk Kajal Kohl-Liner

Here's Lord & Berry's take on Kajal eyeliner that I received in my August Ipsy bag.  Although it doesn't have the same cone shaped tip, I do prefer the weight and feel of this pencil.  It goes on very deep and dark like Kajal liner should.  Much darker than I'd expect an eyeliner pencil to be.  It does have a bit of a smudge to it right away.  So here's another one I'd recommend for a delicious smokey eye. You'll find this one in black and 5 other great shades at Lord & Berry for $18.

I'd love to know about your favorite eyeliners in the comments! And don't forget to stay in touch with me through That Glamorous But Frazzled Mom's FaceBook page!


No comments:

Post a Comment