Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Grandma Annie Part 1


Truthfully I will tell you that I have no idea where my obsession with all things beauty came from.  My mom is a creative but had no real interest in cosmetics as far as I remember when I was young.  I still to this day do her makeup and show her little tips and tricks.  But I also know that most days she probably doesn't wear makeup or do more to her hair than a simple twist or braid.  She's just naturally fabulous.  Most of my friends have little interest in makeup, but they pretend to care while I wax poetic about BB and CC creams and the importance of a good primer. God bless them.



There was one lady, though, that really fed my beauty addiction early on.  That was my Grandmother Annie.  She was technically a step grandmother, as she was the second wife of my Grandfather Bobby(Buffalo Bob for those in the know), but my dad regarded her as one of his two moms.  He told me all about how even though himself, his brother and sister were her step children, she always treated them as her own.  My Aunt Johnnya remembers Annie teaching her all about how to be a young lady and how to care for herself.  My mom remembers Annie as kind and genuine.

How I remember Annie is as a straight talking but affectionate.  She wasn't one to hold her tongue and not tell you exactly what she thought of anything.  Her hair and nails were always impeccable and her nails were accompanied by fingers adorned with many rings.  If her hair wasn't up to her standards on any particular day, it'd be wrapped in a colorful scarf.  Always I could expect first a hug from her and then a critique on my hair.  My mixed girl hair was basically always a mess.  Not for lack of my mom trying.  But back in the day, products for the hair of women of color weren't at every grocery store like they are now.  My mom did what she could to get a comb through my masses of tangled curls, but I was "tender headed."

The time I talked on the phone with Annie from age 9 on was spent in deep conversation about, of all things, nail polish.  She was the only one who seemed to understand my need for sky or mirror shine metallic silver nail polish.  Visits to see grandpa and grandma Annie always meant great food by my grandfather and quality time picking Annie's brain about what to do about my hair or skin.

On occasion my brother and I would stay for a week or two. During one of these trips Annie took me on my very first visit to the beauty shop.  Imagine my glee as we walked aisle after aisle of cosmetics,  hair care elixirs, wigs, and salon quality tools.  It was my heaven.  She helped me pick out several nail polishes and didn't mind at all as I applied several different colors on my fingers at her kitchen table in a less then tidy fashion.  She also bought me my first bottle of Pink Oil conditioner which changed my hair forever even if it was hard to find.

Annie was my beauty guru, but I wasn't the only one reliant on her talents.  She worked in a salon since before she met my grandfather.  She had many loyal customers.  Customers so loyal that when they passed away, their family knew to call Annie to come style their loved ones hair one last time at the funeral home.  Think about it.  Years of going to Annie for that perfect hair style for church on Sunday, weddings, family gatherings, and probably ironically a few funerals too.  A woman's hair is her crowning glory and Annie knew how to perfect that crown every time.

She worked at the same salon since the 70s, up until mid 2014.  On December 12th 2014, Annie Shelby was called home, where she joins my grandfather, their daughter Chandra, and most likely several relieved customers since you know she was the only one they let touch their hair.  Those of us left behind will always remember her fondly as there's just nothing like a hug from Annie  and her honest but kind ways.

After she passed, my dad sent me an email.  In the e-mail was a 360 view of her salon.  It was like stepping back in time.  Nothing fancy like the Mario Tricoci salon/spa's of today.  They did hair, they did it well, no need for frills.  It's a home town basement salon when it started out and it remained like that.  Luckily, I was able to visit the salon and take some pictures.
This is the TV my grandfather bought for the salon.
Part of Annie's station
Hot Combs
Annie's wash station is still intact since the day she left,  her gloves remain in place and her rug shows wear  from many a wash.
My cousin reaches down to show me that Annie's shoes are still there.
Her "work" shoes
The waiting area

The set and dry station





It's like a time capsule.  Thank you to my dad for making sure I got a chance to see this, and thank you to my cousins for preserving Annie's station just as she left it.  It truly brought me joy to imagine Annie doing what she loved.  It reminds me of the saying "if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life."  

As you'll notice, this is part 1 of 2.  The next part...well just you wait.  It's about to get fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment