Wednesday, December 3, 2014

World Beauty Wednesday: De La Cruz Pomade De Azufre(Sulfur Ointment)


This weeks World Beauty Wednesday item is from Mexico.  Ah, Mexico.  Beautiful beaches, delicious margaritas, and lovely warm weather.  If you live anywhere close to me, right now you are right there with me dreaming of a warm getaway down Mexico way.  What else could I use a vacation from?! Winter skin!!! The struggle is real ladies. Dry skin and breakouts. Yuck. But there's help in the form of a little product from Mexico called De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment.



I was about 13 when these became a part of my life.  One popped up and to my horror, it became an army of gross red bumps.  As if puberty isn't traumatic enough.  It was like suddenly one day I started to notice the 3 B's.  Boys, body changes, and blemishes. There was just no remedy. Luckily my skin finally calmed down when I turned 20 or so.  Until after my daughter was born.  Late nights, little time to maintain my skincare routine, and of course hormone changes wrought havoc on my skin.

Late one night I was searching the internet and lamenting to my husband about a pimple that I just KNEW was coming any second now to join his fellow pimple brethren to dance a jig on my poor pizza face.  After the required eye rolling, my husband mentioned to me to try "the stuff in the yellow pot."  The love of my life is so descriptive.  After a quick internet search I found De La Cruz's Sulfur Ointment.  It was available at the Walgreens down the street so out I went.

Only when I got home and opened the tiny jar did I remember that sulfur isn't the most pleasant smell.  But smell be darned.  I desperately needed an ally in my war against the zit family that was living rent free on my face. A small film on each breakout area and to sleep I went.  In the morning? The pimple brigade had receded, redness had lessened, and De La Cruz found a place in my medicine cabinet.

Simply, this is sulfur.  It works because it dries out pimples and eradicates blackheads.  The instructions on the pot say to apply a thin layer, wait 10 minutes, and wipe away.  For your first application, I'd really recommend trying it on a super small area and wiping it away after those 10 minutes.  After a few tries to make sure it doesn't irritate you, go ahead and try it over night.  Again, it works because it's extremely drying.  This is not the item to smear all over your face, it is too strong and your skin is not that gangster.  Along with the drying action, you may experience some light flaking just like when any pimple retires.  That's when you get the exfoliating cotton pads and toner.  Gently press on the area to remove the flakes that would just end up clogging your pores again.  Then moisturize.

The smell isn't too bad, and it seems to disappear a tiny bit.  Once again, I will say that all you need is the smallest little bit.  The less you use, the less smell.  This is one of those products that amazed me to the point that I probably just got used to the smell.  I've had the same pot of De La Cruz for 4 years, and haven't even gotten half way through.  Yet I use it at least once a week and during that special time of the month.  No other product, high end or drugstore has come close to the zit fighting power of my little yellow pot.
 As you can see, this the texture is extremely thick.  

De La Cruz's Sulfur Ointment is available at Walgreens for $6.29.  I've also seen it at Meijer from time to time.

Let's stay in touch!  Don't forget to like That Glamorous But Frazzled Mom's FB page.  Feel free to comment with your favorite beauty finds from around the world.  I'm always looking to try new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment