Saturday, September 27, 2014

Setting Spray Smack Down

If I were to tell you I had a mild addiction to setting sprays, I would be lying to you. My setting spray obsession is the real deal.  I love them, I carry at least one on my person at all times, and I fear the day I run out of my favorite spray for each occasion.

As mush as I love my sprays, not all of them are created equal. Some are great for setting make up. Some work longer than others. Some are great for dimming the shine that oily skin brings. Some are great for adding an extra bit of moisture or stopping a break out in its tracks.  And thats just the beginning of what these sprays are all about.


Final Seal by Ben Nye $8.50 for 2 oz. at Makeupmania.com
Ben Nye's claim to fame reaches far beyond the Banana Powder a certain reality show diva uses to create the perfect contour.  Say hello to Final Seal, AKA "what the Disney Princesses use to keep their makeup in place ALL day." Close your eyes, hold your breath, and spray. Final Seal smells strongly of mint.  It stings a bit too, probably because it's first ingredient is alcohol.  A little goes a long way.  My 2 oz bottle has been getting a lot of love for 6 weeks, and as you can see I still have a ton.  However, it's labeled as "matte." For me, it doesn't do a whole lot of shine killing, which works for me since I love the glowy look.  I'm also sure it doesn't set my everyday makeup any better then any other setting spray does. HOWEVER! Ben Nye is known for stage quality makeup(therefor the princesses using it to set their utra thick cake makeup), so when used in conjunction with higher coverage cosmetics, I could see this being a very comfortable way to set your makeup rather than adding more powder. I find myself using this before I walk out the door, but it doesn't travel along with me.  At $4.25 an oz, it's just too precious and not very easy to get your hands on.
Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herb and Rosewater $7.00 for 4oz at Ulta
I bought this spray for one reason only. Rosewater! Rosewater is amazing at toning your skin without using alcohol. And you won't find any alcohol in this spray.  I bought this to live by my bed and I spray it on my skin after my nightly moisturizer, and it sort of adds an extra barrier against dryness.  The smell is lovely and relaxing.  It also doubles as a before makeup and after makeup setting spray. As a setting spray, it does ok. It does't add a ton of staying power.  But I love this still for a mid day refresher on my (few) makeup free days.  At $1.75 an oz,  I'd recommend you add to your nightly routine, especially in the dry months.
Urban Decay B6 Vitamin-Infused Complexion Prep Spray $15 1oz or $33 4oz Sephora
This spray is meant to be used to prep your skin BEFORE makeup and moisturizer.  It claims to reduce redness and pores and absorb oil.  That's a lot of promises. Not exactly a setting spray here, but this spray can be used as a refresher after makeup as well.  This is one of my favorites.  I used it before makeup, during the day, and at night.  I also ambushed some of my friends with a spritz or 2 on the hot summer days while running around after kids.  This spray is light and lovely. My makeup stayed, my skin was refreshed and dewy, but not dripping with oil. One spritz on a hot day won't completely do away with oil, but it will keep it manageable. I got the travel size to try, and it really did travel with me. Your looking at $8.25 an oz for the big guy or $15 an oz for the travel one. But with all it does, and all the extra vitamins your skin is getting, this is splurge worthy.  Also recommended for the makeup free ladies who need a little skin refreshment.
NYX Matte Finish Long Lasting Setting Spray $7.99 2.02 oz Ulta
OK, this spray is not matte. At this point, I should tell you that NO setting spray is going really give a matte finish. Sorry, it's just too good to be true.  This spray also sprays out a ton at once.  It leaves your face looking a little sweaty.  But give it a minute to dry, and your makeup is ready to go. It also has a slight vinegary scent, which thankfully dissipates quickly.  This spray is actually great for staying power, if you're willing to work with it.  At $3.95 an oz, and with NYX being so easy to get your hands on, I'd say wait for a sale or coupon(Ulta does BOGO 50% off NYX often) to try this one. It's good, but not the best.
NYX Dewy Finish Long Lasting Setting Spray $7.99 2.03 oz Ulta
Somehow this "dewy" setting spray manages not to bath you in spray like NYX Matte Finish Spray.  It's light and refreshing. There is a slight alcohol scent that dissolves momentarily.  Also this spray dries quickly, so no waiting around for big droplets to disappear.  On it's own, this is a fantastic spray, and very purse worthy. At $3.95 an oz(again, this is often on sale at Ulta, and don't forget those coupons) it's totally worth a try.
MAC Fix+ $10 1oz MAC
Oh MAC how I love thee, why must we disagree? This spray has all sorts of vitamins along with some calming agents(I.E. chamomile and cucumber). But it also has an awkward scent.  Apparently it's the "energizing scent of Sugi." Not a fan.  And the dispenser was more of a douse than a mist.  I Just can't get past it.  I'll be looking for another setting spray to try from them.
Urban Decay De-Slick Makeup Setting Spray $14 for 1oz or $30 for 4oz
Ahhhh yes, another Urban Decay lovely.  This is another setting spray that claims to give you a matte finish. It does not. BUT. I bought this on a hot afternoon, sprayed it on my disco ball shiny oily face, and seconds later, goodbye oil! No more slip and slide face! This spray is nothing short of a miracle in a spray bottle. I should also mention that Urban Decay has partnered with Skindinavia to create their setting sprays.  I have not gotten my hands on any Skindinavia products just yet, but they get consistently get rave reviews from makeup professionals and makeup enthusiasts alike.  I'm not the type to believe the hype, but both of the Urban Decay setting sprays I've tried are phenomenal. So it's only a matter of time before I give in and try some Skindinavia goodies.  I'll keep you updated.  Since this little spray will be living in my purse, I'm keeping the travel size bottle, but buying the larger size to refill it.  I'll save $6.50 per oz that way!
E.L.F Makeup Mist and Set $3 2.02oz eyeslipsface.com
This was my first foray into setting sprays. It was love at first mist.  When E.L.F. products started to pop up at Target stores, I was so excited to be able to get my hands on this specific item A.S.A.P. I'd been ordering 3 at a time from their website and they kept going missing. OK, not missing. I'd rave about it and give them away to my favorite people, throw one in each purse, and no matter how many setting sprays I try, I just can't quit this one! It has it all.  It's got the calming powers of aloe and cucumber.  It's got vitamins C and E, which are the best vitamins you can put on your face(but thats another post completely) for almost any skin malady you may have.  The spray bottle itself is indestructible. Never has it spilled or cracked, which in my overloaded purse is a true miracle. The nozzle has never clogged on me, no matter how many I've gone through. Always the same light refreshing mist.  This spray will absolutely give you a dewy look. Even if thats not the look you want, have no fear because I recently learned that this spray has other uses. Spray it on your brush before you apply eyeshadow, pigment, or cream eyeliner. The color will be super intense and have ridiculous staying power. At $1.48 an oz, you have got to try this! 

So to sum it all up.....
Best All Around: Urban Decay B6
Best For Oily Skin: Urban Decay De-Slick
Best To Treat Skin Concerns: Mario Badescu Facial Spray
Best Budget Buy: E.L.F. Makeup Mist and Set

This is only 8 setting sprays! I'd love to hear which ones you've tried and the results!


1 comment:

  1. Really nice product for this price point! I've been using it in the summer heat and it does extend my makeup for longer than normal. Will buy again... http://deadseaproductstore.com

    ReplyDelete